Thursday, October 8, 2015

Narrative Essay Rubric

View the rubric indicators below, or click on the link to download a copy. 

Printable Rubric

Criterion for Evaluating Essay:
Student
Teacher
Overall
I presented and told a personal story that had well developed characters, tension, and a clear theme that shares a life lesson with the audience. My writing is organized and proves mastery of concepts taught throughout the unit.

____

____
Format
My essay is typed, double spaced, size 12 Times New Roman font or neatly handwritten in ink, with a heading and inviting/unique title that references the theme of my story. I wrote introduction and conclusion paragraphs that explain how my personal story connects to the lesson/message. 

____

____
Lead
I wrote a beginning in which I not only set the plot or story in motion, but also introduced the larger meaning (lesson) the story would convey. I explained the significance of the lesson and its value to society. 

____

____
Transitions
My transitions helped the reader follow my lines of thinking. Transitional language is used to move the reader from one paragraph to the next. I used transitional phrases to connect what happened to why it happened.
 If…, I hadn’t…, I might not have…, because of…, although…, and little did I know that…

____

____
Ending
I wrote an ending that connected to what the story was really about.
My conclusion paragraph gave readers a sense of closure by showing a new realization, insight, or a change that I experienced as a result of what happened in my story. I emphasized the value of the lesson I learned, and how others could learn from it as well.

____

____
Organization
My paper included an introduction, the personal story, and a conclusion. In the story, I used paragraphs purposefully to show time or setting changes; new parts of the story; or to create suspense for readers.  I described a sequence of events that was clearly connected to the overall message/lesson I was conveying.

____

____
Elaboration
I developed realistic characters and developed the details, action, dialogue, and internal thinking that contributed to the deeper meaning of the story.

____

____
Description
I developed character traits and emotions through what I said and did.  In my story, I chose several key parts to stretch out and several to move through more quickly. I used precise descriptions, figurative language, and symbolism to help readers picture the setting, actions, and events, and to bring forth meaning.

____

____
Grammar/Punctuation
I used punctuation to clarify and emphasize quotations and to enhance meaning.
(I used punctuation such as dashes, colons, parentheses, and semicolons to help me include or connect extra information in some of my sentences.)

____

____
Spelling
I spelled technical terms and literary vocabulary accurately.

____

____
Grade

____
____

No comments:

Post a Comment